Thursday 2 June 2016

‘Top’ Gear? or; If We’re Fucking The Haters, Then Lube Me Up

I won’t begin this by saying “I was never a fan of Top Gear” as that would be an outright lie. There was a time in my teenage years when the three erstwhile poster boys of the best automotive show the BBC had produced since Brum took it upon themselves to go caravanning.
I am not ashamed to say that some of the happiest days of my youth were spent on caravan holidays, so while there was a certain innocence lost in having three middle-aged men lambaste the past-time, there was a twisted pleasure gained from it also.
Seeing the more mundane facets of caravan holidays brought to light by the rapier-wit of Clarkson et al. combined a sense of wild, anarchic abandon with the air of legitimacy that the BBC logo provided (in the early 2000’s, at least) spoke to my young, sponge-like mind.
It also made me feel like ‘a man’.
Much like beer and football, the testosterone laced scent of petrol was a love that was, and still is, inaccessible to me. To a boy still making his first-tentative steps into la vie puberté, anything that I could genuinely enjoy while conforming to gender stereotypes, reassuring myself that ‘I was normal after all, thank Christ’ was a must-have, and I think that was part of the core appeal of Top Gear; it was about cars, but it wasn’t really.
Yeah, the boys talked about the latest Porsche and fired The Stig around their race track in it, and any celebrity they had on talked about cars, between plugging their newest rom-com/reality show/fragrance, and drove another one around a race track; but they also dicked around a lot. They took the aforementioned caravan on holiday and burnt it down, and raced to Edinburgh on one tank of fuel, while getting into all sorts of hilarious scrapes along the way, before returning to the studio for some affectionately harsh banter, the likes of which previous generations could only digest in rugby team clubhouses or from reading tabloid headlines.
The whole thing was very easy to watch, while making people feel they knew about cars as they enjoyed a cheeky laugh at some topical barb delivered in the patented Clarkson intonation.
At least that’s what drew me to the show. Whether or not that was the case for the countless other men, women and children who tuned in is anyone’s guess.
But somewhere along the road, I found myself slipping away from this comforting reassurance of my masculinity. I got a part time job meaning I was out of the house on Sunday nights and missed new episodes, and realised that I couldn’t be bothered catching up on the iPlayer or BBC3 (God rest it’s bloated carcass). On the frequent occasions in my undergraduate days when I caught a repeat on Dave, I found that each episode was just as ‘same-y’ as the last, and the friendly three-way banter seemed more blatantly scripted than I remembered. The show had grown stale over the years and, to me, was worth little more than a pleasant distraction during lunch.
Top Gear and I parted ways, not with a bang, but with a whimper.
The same, however, cannot be said for the parting of the show and Jeremy ‘Feed Me Or I’ll Bloody Well Thump You’ Clarkson.
Enough’s been said about ‘Fracas-gate’ already, so I’ll not discuss it anymore than asserting that Auntie Beeb was right to get rid of JC, for physically assaulting a member of the crew, even if he hadn’t been on his ‘final warning’ for various un-PC comments he’d made on the show.
Following the scandal, and the announcement that the show would continue sans The Three Amigos, I don’t mind telling you that I raised a cautiously intrigued eyebrow. Could the show retain the same spirit that made Top Gear so popular but do what, quite frankly, needed to be done a long time ago, by changing the format and making it relevant again?
No. No it couldn’t.
I tuned in last night while attempting to affect the curious and nimble mind of my younger self, in the hope that the show would be, well, interesting. And they failed spectacularly.
Now if you were one of the countless devotees of Top Gear right up until the end times, you may be pleased to know that the format is largely unchanged, and you’ll still get the same, scripted light entertainment for an hour, structured around celebrities and tame racing drivers zooming round a track and the weekly event-spectacle pitting host against host, but this time with a series of minor (read: insignificant) aesthetic changes.
For me however, we’ve merely kept the same old dirty bathwater while throwing out the somewhat-attention-grabbing baby that was the perpetual risk of Clarkson dropping the word ‘coloured’ in somewhere.
That baby’s been replaced with Chris Evans.
Stewart Lee once described Jeremy Clarkson as a violent thug pummeling BBC viewers’ faces in the weekly Happy Slap that was Top Gear while Richard Hammond was his weasel-like sidekick who laughed along and held the camera phone.
Chris Evans is what we’d get if we forcibly let Hammond of Jeremy’s leash, gave him a Clockwork Orange-esque rehabilitation with old VHS tapes of Live And Kicking, and slapped a ginger wig on him.
Not only is he so squeaky-clean as to be maddening, but he seems to be eternally torn between manically jumping around screaming ‘Woohoo!’ in a vain attempt at hyping the audience, and imitating Godfather Jeremy’s winning speech patterns.
Matt LeBlanc did a decent job, however. Anyone who’s seen even one or two installments of the sitcom Episodes will have some confidence in his post-Joey appeal, and he genuinely seems to bring something different to the show. Unfortunately, I doubt that will be enough to help old fans get past the insufferable juggernaut that is Chris Evans.
To add a final cherry to the bland, hollowed out cake that was this week’s episode, there were a few ‘Classically Top Gear’ cheeky nudges and winks to the topical scandal surrounding the show (including one ill-judged moment of, once again, blatantly scripted audience participation) that I suspect will only serve to turn the kids against their new step-dad right from the starting line.
So that’s it. Top Gear’s back, but not as you know it, but kind-of-exactly how you know it.
Long may it continue (at least until the inevitable shuffle/restructuring of the format/hosts that will inevitably come in the next couple of years when the producers aren’t completely satisfied with the performance of this bold new approach).
See you all in the Autumn when I tear apart Amazon Prime’s The Grand Tour for being nothing more than a soapbox for Clarkson while he dicks around in cars in a slightly different way than he used to. While Hammond laughs along and holds the camera phone.
-Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment